It’s no secret that cannabis-derived compounds like Beezy Beez Honey – CBD for pain have become the new norm. These products increase in popularity because of the various benefits they offer. This popularity has given rise to cannabis-derived compound products like CBD oil, supplements, and cbd anti anxiety gummies, among others. However, very few people know a lot about cannabis.
This article will help you understand and learn more about products containing cannabis-derived compounds.
Is cannabis the same thing as marijuana?
It’s pretty common for people to use the terms marijuana and cannabis interchangeably. However, that doesn’t mean that they are exactly the same. Cannabis consists of all the types of products that can be derived from the cannabis sativa plant. There are approximately 540 chemical substances that can be found in this plant.
On the other hand, marijuana refers to products or parts of the cannabis sativa plant that contain a substantial amount of THC or tetrahydrocannabinol. THC is a substance responsible for the effects of marijuana has on a person’s mental state. It’s important to note that some cannabis plants do contain a little THC, and under US law, such plants are referred to as industrial hemp. In some states, it is also legal medicinally and will be called medical marijuana. Depending on the state you need a prescription, like a medical marijuana card in Texas for example.
Has the FDA approved the use of products containing cannabinoids or cannabis?
The answer to this question is both yes and no. The FDA hasn’t approved the use of the cannabis plant for medical purposes. However, there are several drugs the FDA has approved that contain cannabinoids. Some of these drugs include:
- Marinol and Syndros: These drugs contain dronabinol, a synthetic THC used to treat vomiting and nausea caused by cancer chemotherapy. Dronabinol can also help treat weight loss and loss of appetite in people living with HIV/AIDS.
- Epidiolex: This is another product containing a purified form of CBD derived from cannabis. This drug is approved to treat seizures associated with Dravet syndrome or Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, which are two rare forms of epilepsy.
Can products containing cannabinoids or cannabis-derived components help treat health conditions?
Yes, products containing cannabis-derived components can help in treating different health conditions. Here are specific health conditions research has established that cannabis products help treat.
- Pain – According to scientific research, products containing cannabinoids or cannabis can help treat chronic pain, especially neuropathic pain, linked with nerve damage or injury. Also, according to a review done in 2018 compiled from 47 studies that looked into the use of cannabinoids or cannabis for different types of chronic pain, there is some slight evidence that it can help with chronic pain. From those studies, twenty-nine percent of the participants who take cannabinoids experienced a 30 percent reduction of their pain.
- Anxiety – Scientific research has also indicated that products derived from cannabis can help with anxiety. One such study with 24 participants who experienced social anxiety disorder discovered that they could talk better in public once they took CBD. Other studies also suggested that the use of cannabis products can also help in reducing anxiety in patients with chronic pain. There have still been no conclusive studies indicating that products containing cannabis contaminants can help deal with anxiety disorders.
- Inflammatory bowel disease – According to a review done in 2018 that reviewed three studies, the use of cannabis-based products can help people with inflammatory bowel disease deal with symptoms like weight loss, fever, and loss of appetite. It, however, does come with several side effects.
Are there any side effects from the use of these products?
While the use of cannabis-containing products does come with several benefits, it’s also important to note that it comes with specific side effects. Some effects include:
- Damage to your liver.
- It can affect the way other drugs work with your body.
- Using CBD with other drugs can significantly slow down your brain activity. Such types of medications include those used to treat sleep disorders, stress, panic, or anxiety.
- CBD products can also change your alertness and cause changes to your mood.
While there are still many unanswered questions about CBD products, it’s important to note that they come with several benefits. Therefore, before you start taking any CBD products, always ensure that you ask your doctor first. This guarantees that you get the right prescription.