Did you know that air pollution is responsible for nearly seven million deaths around the globe? As a result of climate change and the rise in pollution levels, it is mandatory for all cars in India to carry a Pollution Control Certificate and pass the emission test.
Pollution Under Control (PUC) is an approval from the authorities that emission from your vehicle is under control and as per the pollution norms. The certificate is an official document that is issued by the government after verification of the vehicle’s emission levels.
If you do not have a PUC certificate for your vehicle, you may be fined. As a good citizen, it is your responsibility to maintain your car’s emission control and thereby be responsible towards the environment.
What does the PUC certificate contain?
-Vehicle Registration Number
-PUC certificate serial number
-Date of the emission test
-PUC certificate validity date
-Emission level reading of the vehicle.
Failure to produce the PUC certificate will entail a penalty of Rs 1000 for first-time offenders and Rs 2000 for expired pollution certificates.
Why do you need a Car Pollution Certificate?
- You contribute to the environment’s health – Air pollution has already caused a great deal of damage to the environment. With a PUC, you can do your part to preserve the environment by keeping the pollutants from your car in check.
- Under the Motor Vehicle Act, having a PUC is a mandatory requirement. Failing to have this document can cause inconvenience when you renew your car insurance policy.
- The PUC must be renewed every 6 months, so if something is wrong with your car, you will know. It is because a poorly maintained car emits more fumes than a well-maintained one.
- With a Pollution Under Control Certificate, you become a responsible and law-abiding citizen since it is a legal requirement by the Government of India by the Motor Vehicle Act of 1988.
When should a car be tested for pollution?
PUC testing should be conducted when you buy a new vehicle or buy a second-hand one. A PUC Certificate is always provided with the new car. This certificate will be valid for one year. Once the certificate expired, you will need to have the vehicle recertified periodically by going through the emission test.
How to get a car pollution certificate online?
The PUC certificate is an approved certificate that is granted by the Government of India that provides information about your vehicle’s emission levels.
The procedure to get this certificate is quite simple:
- Go to www.parivahan.gov.in which is the official website of the Ministry of Transport and Highways of the Government of India.
- Fill in your vehicle’s registration number as well as the last five digits of the chassis number.
- Click on ‘PUC Details’ after entering the security code.
- Examine the emissions test result and other data if your PUC certificate is active. Check if your vehicle is compatible with the current standards.
- To get a hard copy of the result, click on ‘Print’ or ‘Download’.