What are the most popular sources of custom house design inspiration? As it turns out, inspiration for your dream home can be found in a variety of areas.
Many architectural and home design websites and publications can help you locate the perfect architectural style, interior and exterior design, floor plans, interior décor, and much more. Home builders Connecticut put together a list of some of our favorite websites, as well as additional places where you can begin the process of building the custom home of your dreams.
Where Do You Begin?
There are a number of factors to take into account while planning a new home.
- How can you make the most of your land’s natural contours while planning and building your home? Do you want to be able to look out your windows and get a view of the outdoors? Is it possible to use a hill or some other natural feature to your advantage when making a design decision?
- Are you in the middle of your life’s journey? Do you have a growing family, will you be empty-nesters, or do you want to age in your current home?
- Is it time for you to upgrade? Is it possible that you need a smaller house?
- What options do you have in your area for green and energy-efficient construction?
Each of these elements sets a constraint on the design you’re working on. The way we design for the future is one of the most important decisions we can make. Design strategies like universal design can make it easier for the elderly and those with varying physical capacities to remain in their own houses for longer periods of time in their current dwellings.
An online resource called Sketchpad House Plans answers some of these issues, as well as gives a handy checklist for the home design process. A wealth of resources and links are provided for each stage of the design process as well as specific areas of the home.
Sketchpad House Plans simplify the process by breaking it down into smaller phases. Additionally, this guide gives advice on how to learn the language of home building and design in order to assist you select a design and build team when the time comes.
Designing a Modern Living Space
- A Few Inspiring Thoughts
Ideas that may not be immediately obvious, but are intriguing once you hear about them, should be considered when designing a home to match your lifestyle and future needs.
Empty space within the frame can be used to construct unique elements, such as storage or additional seating. For example, the space beneath the stairway is ideal for a closet, a reading nook, or a variety of storage options, such as cupboards and drawers.
You can use your mudroom for more than just boots and coats. If you have muddy pets or dirty boots and galoshes, consider installing a little shower. Towels and other supplies can be stored in a linen closet.
All of your electronic devices demand a plethora of accessible electrical outlets in today’s homes. If you have multiple smartphones, tablets, and e-readers, consider installing a charging station. In addition, make sure you have enough surge protection.
What kind of protection are you looking for? Is it enough to just have locks on the doors and windows, or should you go all out and install a smart home system that allows you to monitor and manage everything from your smartphone?
Did you know that there are secret rooms in the world? Imagining the possibilities if you had a secret chamber or hidden area that no one else knew about.
It’s only a fraction of what’s out there.
- There are numerous architectural styles to choose from
Most of us begin the process of building a house with the exterior in mind. For a flavor of what’s available, here’s a list of some of the most popular styles in architecture. You don’t have to stick to one style; you can mix and match several looks or come up with your own.
- A geometric, boxy design with flat roofs is considered modern.
Floor-to-ceiling windows and white walls are standard. The layout of these houses is open and airy.
These are typically two-story constructions with ornate trim, eyebrow windows, and decorative railings named after the reign of Queen Victoria. Intricate floor plans feature bay windows and pleasant lounging areas.
Typically one-and-a-half stories, a pitched and gabled roof, and a large chimney characterize the Cape Cod. Additional rooms or a garage can be added.
- Cape Cod.
One of the most elaborate and beautiful homes in France, the French Chateau is known for its high-pitched roof and exquisite carvings.
Moorish, Italian, and Spanish influences can be seen in the shallow, red-tiled roofs and stucco walls of these homes
- Mediterranean-style dwellings.
Bungalow style with overhanging eaves and low-pitched, gabled roofs, known as Craftsman. It also features carved stone and timber, which serves as a canvas for a wide range of color schemes.
This type of residence has an asymmetrical design, with cross-gabled, steeply pitched roofs and one or two floors. Rooms with oddly shaped windows and arched doorways add to the rural feel.
- American Southwest Pueblo Revival
This is a popular architectural style that evokes images of desert-adapted indigenous building. The building’s facade is smooth and geometric, with the appearance of adobe on its surface. Wooden beams extend from the roof’s flat or slightly inclined surface (vigas).
- Spanish – Stucco, adobe, and stone facades are more common in Spanish architecture.
Flat or slightly sloping red clay or stone tile roofs are common. A central courtyard with water elements is a common sight.
- Roofs with several gables and elaborate half-timber framing are typical of Tudor architecture.
Its outside is made up of brick and stone, as well as stucco and wood; the doors are arched. In addition to being ideal for indoor living, these homes may be made in any size.
Keep these fundamental styles in mind while you search for ideas for your custom home on the internet and in print.
Websites That Inspire You
The internet is a fantastic resource for finding and analyzing information. Among the websites we’ve visited, these are some of our favorites.
- Houzz offers a plethora of design inspiration, organized both by category and by room. It provides a glimpse into a variety of visual design trends through stills and moving images.
- Websites that can be built from scratch – To begin your search for a custom house builder, look for one who has a website that includes a portfolio of completed work as well as other useful resources. Here’s ours, then.
- Dedicated interior design websites feature the work of the business owner. Quality designers are capable of creating whatever look you desire, but some designers may have a unique style that you enjoy.
- Zillow and other home-buying websites allow you to search for properties around the United States. You can view what other people have done with the space you’re given.
- Both Sketchpad House Plans and OldBrandNew give inspiration for both interior and exterior design.
- Dreamhome Source is a one-stop shop for all things related to home design and construction.
If you can discover the correct group on Facebook and Instagram, you’ll uncover a wealth of knowledge. For inspiration, search and follow hashtags. Use the hashtag #english tudor to see images of Tudor-style architecture and furnishings and much more.